User-Created Challenge: Infection V and VI

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!

How difficult is Infection V? (If VI is less than Very Difficult, post a comment.)

Easy
No votes
Moderate
No votes
Difficult
No votes
Very Difficult
No votes

Total votes: 0
bwisialo

User-Created Challenge: Infection V and VI

Post by bwisialo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:55 am

These two challenges are similar to Infection II and Infection III, but they require a more optimized Virocyte-spitting swimmer or... a different sort of infection strategy!

The species on the substrate is a Devorocyte-spitting swimmer. The cell modes are the same as Infection II / III: mode 4, with children 2 and 3.

Please don't post links to your solutions, but feel free to post hints as well as general descriptions and images of your solutions.

To attempt the challenge, you need to complete "22: Harsh Conditions" in Cell Lab, which gives you access to Virocytes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/288s6fpy3d1ja ... trate?dl=0
Infection V Objective (Very Difficult): Infect and eliminate the species on the substrate.
Infection VI Objective (Very Difficult): Eliminate the species and leave the substrate with no cells.

Cell types allowed: All except Devorocytes

Inserted cells allowed: 10

Hints: If you've solved Infection III, you may already be close to a solution for V. You may have to optimize it. A key point: Don't use a Virocyte with as large a split mass as your solution to Infection III. Then you'll have to optimize more with a lower split mass for VI. There are also a variety of ways to use infection to remove the Devorocyte from the species or protect yourself from it. Some may be quite simple viruses, but not necessarily simple to design. It's something you can play around with. :)
Last edited by bwisialo on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 7 times in total.
amor fati
CandyYAHFT

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Post by CandyYAHFT » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:06 am

Have you already solved it?
Because at a first sight it seems absolutely impossible, but I haven't tried yet
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:39 am

I've just downloaded the substrate and ran my Infection II genome against it. 1 cell killed off the the entire population :)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:17 pm

Alast wrote:I've just downloaded the substrate and ran my Infection II genome against it. 1 cell killed off the the entire population :)
I wondered if that was going to happen. There was only one test I could really run to test this: trying to solve this with two different solutions I have for Infection II. I tried an early solution I had for Infection II, and it didn't work. I tried a more optimized solution I have for Infection II, and it works.

Would you say your Infection II solution is pretty optimized?

Maybe I'll make the simmers more deadly.
Last edited by bwisialo on Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:55 pm

No, it was actually very primitive. As a good virus should be ;) Unfortunately it only worked the first time... Now giving it another try i can't seem to repeat it. So I will try a different genome now.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:08 pm

Alast wrote:Unfortunately it only worked the first time... Now giving it another try i can't seem to repeat it.
That's odd. :?
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:13 pm

Guess there's a little luck involved. I got close to extinction, but then 1 or 2 cells survived and then at some point my organism died out. Looks like a very unstable ecosystem ;)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:16 pm

Alast wrote:Guess there's a little luck involved. I got close to extinction, but then 1 or 2 cells survived and then at some point my organism died out. Looks like a very unstable ecosystem ;)
I don't think it's unstable. The swimmers are good at coming back from low numbers.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Yeah, fhats basically what I meant :-) Unstable was the wrong word.

Btw. I did it again. It took my virus 8000h but then it finally killed off your swimmers ;-) I will see if I can make a more reliable genome that solves the challenge more than 1 out of 5 times!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:15 pm

Alast wrote:Yeah, fhats basically what I meant :-) Unstable was the wrong word.

Btw. I did it again. It took my virus 8000h but then it finally killed off your swimmers ;-) I will see if I can make a more reliable genome that solves the challenge more than 1 out of 5 times!
What?!?! How about 5 out of 5.
amor fati