Page 2 of 2

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:29 pm
by Alast
Which is more than 1 out of 5 right? :P

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:46 pm
by CandyYAHFT
Theorically if you repeat an experiment over and over again, in the exact same conditions, the result will be always the same, though we should ask Petter if there's any luck actually involved in the game

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:02 pm
by Alast
Yes. But positioning of your first cell infouences the outcome already. And as I cannot foresee the impact of a certain position I call it luck ;-)

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:13 pm
by CandyYAHFT
I actually developed an algorithm that prevents the most probably effect positions will make to the genome, so that's how I solved 30.-tip the balance
It was a hard one, because my theories told me that the genome was perfect, or at least enough to solve it, the I figured out the position was the problem, that's why I developed my algorithm, to find the most perfect place to place a cell, this finds it's usefulness in this kinda challenges, but I can't solve it yet, even with my solution for infection II, doesn't matter where I put it, it doesn't seem like working

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:28 pm
by bwisialo
CandyYAHFT wrote:Theorically if you repeat an experiment over and over again, in the exact same conditions, the result will be always the same, though we should ask Petter if there's any luck actually involved in the game
Over a short period of time, you can have some "luck" with the distribution of nutrients. Over longer periods, the results are a matter of statistics not luck. For example, you might have two species where, in competition, one wins 60% of the time and the other wins 40%. I've actually seen this when playing with things.

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:34 pm
by CandyYAHFT
Hahahaha, I have already say that in suggestions and bug reports :lol:

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:31 am
by bwisialo
CandyYAHFT wrote:Hahahaha, I have already say that in suggestions and bug reports :lol:
To clarify, a 60% to 40% win ratio is not a bug, and not a matter luck, but a matter of statistics. In effect, every hour on the petri dish plays out the statistical reproductive capacities of the two species against each other. This is not always a 100% to 0% proposition. If their reproductive capacities against one another are relatively close to one another, you can end up with a 60% to 40% win ratio.

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:40 pm
by bwisialo
Old version deleted.

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:18 am
by bwisialo
I've tried a couple of different tests. From these and from Alast's posts, I'd say this is definitely harder than Infection II / III, especially if you're trying to get your own genome to die off afterwards. :twisted:

One cool thing I found is that manuelzlp's amazing solution (Infection II thread) to the Infection challenges doesn't come close to completing this challenge. :)

Re: User-Created Challenge: Infection V

Posted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:13 pm
by bwisialo
Old version deleted.