User-created Challenge: The Ring

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
bwisialo

Re: User-created Challenge: The Ring

Post by bwisialo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:01 pm

I thought of that as well. And it would really encourage user created challenges. One reservation I've had in posting these, however, is that we are posting some pretty powerful species that could be used in-game. Not sure what Petter thinks about that issue.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:06 pm

I've also had a bent toward Very Difficult challenges. It would probably be good to create some easy ones.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:21 pm

Well, we're posting strong genomes here anyway. Won't make them any more present in their own section ;)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:29 pm

Ok, I must have messed up the splitRatio in the latest version because for me the food was on the outside so solving this was pretty hard :P. Also I made the adhesin a bit stronger so it was still pretty hard to solve it. But it was a pretty cool species :P.

About posting powerful genomes; I don't really mind it. Hopefully we can make challenges that are unique enough to require a particular solution. There are actually a couple new substrate parameters in the next version too, perhaps you could note them in the second teaser ;).

About posting solutions to challenges, I'm a bit divided here. Usually someone explains pretty explicitly in the forum how to solve the challenge. If someone doesn't want to read and try to comprehend a solution but instead just quickly download the solution to get access to some new cell type, then I think that person will get pretty disappointed because to use the new cell type will often be more difficult than solving the previous challenge.

But on the other hand I think people should be allowed to make these decisions themselves. Especially the challenges that do not unlock anything, they can be pretty hard and if someone wants to see a solution then they are just interested in the actual solution and it's easier to download than to follow instructions. There seems to be a very large fraction of users who don't solve the first few challenges and then quickly get bored. I think some of these people would enjoy the game if it was somehow easier to quickly get started.

So in the end, I don't know, do as you like :). This is completely the wrong thread to discuss this :P but if you have some other points to consider regarding this let me know here or somewhere.

About challenges not from the game, it's up to the creator, don't post solutions unless the creator explicitly says it's ok.

I'll look into making a new section, and moving this discussion there.
TygrCZ

Post by TygrCZ » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:25 pm

I think we all can thank you for moving everything there, as it is easier to find challenges in the new section, that scrolling through list of creations... ;)
Hello, I am TygrCZ.
Phaseling

Post by Phaseling » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:09 am

Lol it seems if you put a single of the phagocyte that it start with when you load the substrate in the middle,after about 20secs of incubate kills it xD
From the desk of
Phaseling
Alast

Post by Alast » Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:10 am

It is an easy challenge after all ;-)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!