User-Created Challenge: BANKRUPT

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!

How difficult do you think "BANKRUPT" is ?

Very easy
No votes
Easy
No votes
Not too easy
No votes
Normal
No votes
Difficult
No votes
Very difficult
100%
Impossible
No votes

Total votes: 1
CandyYAHFT

User-Created Challenge: BANKRUPT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:15 pm

Well, in this kinda funny challenge there is a little story backwards.
You are a novice biologist, and you got fired from your last job, all you have is a microscope, some mutagen, and a ridiculously small Petri dish, however if you probe you can make a species to reproduce, then you will get a chance to take back your job.
Edit*
Well this is a substrate with nitrates, Max light, no food, and the size of the Petri dish is only 0.04 mm, so this obviously limited the space for cells, Can you make a genome that fits here anyway?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a8snmole0f0yb ... trate?dl=0
Objectives
(A1): get 10 cells in this substrate
(A2): get 15 cells in this substrate
(B1): make a solution that includes flagellocytes
(B2): include as many cell types as you can in your solution, you have to probe them you're the boss :lol:
Restrictions:
+only one cell inserted
+that mutagen is wonderful, so you have access to all cell types as long as you have them unlocked

You can pass this challenge at any time (you don't need to unlock any cell types)
P.D. I will try to make a history of the game as I suggested a long ago, but I decided it will be easier if they're just a series of challenges with history on them, than a whole new game, the poll here will be for the difficult, and I will add a poll in general discussion to check if you support this idea.
Last edited by CandyYAHFT on Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Re: User created challenge: "BANKRUPT"

Post by Alast » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:36 pm

May I recommend you use the template for user created challenges? It will help users getting the key information about your challenge more easily.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:52 pm

Hm. I might be thinking too complicated again. But even with some advanced tweaking approaches I did notanage to fit 15 cells into the substrate. Have you actually made that work and have a hint for me?
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:05 pm

About what template are you talking about?

Anyway here's 3 little hints, that I hope helps
make adhesin, indivisible nucleus, split angles
I have already developed a solution, if you want me to send it to you, to check if it's bug free, however I'd like if you try it a little harder
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
CandyYAHFT

Re: User-Created Challenge: BANKRUPT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:42 pm

Anyway, if you get 10 cells you already pass the challenge, because A1 is the principal objective, also consider another hint to understand what I pretended with this substrate, this time is in normal cause is a key to pass the challenge and most of the people in this forum are not familiar with this low cell limits and small substrates
programmed reproduction
I explain this, in such a small substrate you can't reproduce just as 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, because if you try to reach the objective this way some cells will just die, and you'll never pass the challenge, this is solved adding sterile cells, however you have to think well how you do this, because, if you chose something like just keep cell split Max as cell will never divide, but consider it will one of this, 1- it will consume energy slowing your development, 2- it will simply keep growing and you'll have no space for future cells.
This is because you have to design a genome very well designed, I wanted to make this kinda challenge because it can't be solved through evolution :mrgreen: but you can solve it in many ways, for example escalated split mass, escalated nutrient priorities, or simply irregular cycles making use of the walls of the Petri dish that are positioned to kill bigger cells this way you only have the smallest cells in the substrate which allows your small cells to keep dividing the small text includes the easier solution, but a last advice, your abilities to make circles are pretty useful here
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:46 pm

The template in the 'IMPORTANT, read before posting' thread.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:38 am

Wow, the graphics are pretty messed up at such a small plate :). I think I got 13 cells, but haven't managed to get 15 yet :P.
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Fri Nov 27, 2015 4:08 am

Is really hard to get 15, the only reason I made this weird challenge, is because I wanted a challenge that you can't solve trough evolution, I really tried hard to get a challenge with that characteristics, then I realized the only way to do so, was in a so small Petri dish, that won't let you evolve anything :evil: :evil:
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Nov 27, 2015 6:14 am

Yeah, 13 i got too. Guess I have to try harder reaching 15 ;-)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:34 pm

There are certainly ways to limit the utility of evolution. But it can be difficult to eliminate it completely. To test this, I used evolution on a .1 diameter plate with similar settings, and it got most of the way -- it needed small tweaks -- to a genome that reaches 13.

For a combination of reasons, evolution is fairly useless for the Sterilization challenge in CL.
amor fati