Flourishing Grounds

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!

How would you rate this challenge?

what challenge?
No votes
very easy
No votes
easy
No votes
medium
67%
difficult
No votes
very difficult
33%
extreme
No votes

Total votes: 3
Alast

Flourishing Grounds

Post by Alast » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:02 am

Description: In this challenge I tried to to simulate a simple ecosystem of 2 organisms with one being a food source for the other so that the other cannot survive without it's prey. In the same time the prey cannot be so strong that it outgrows it's preditor to extinction. Turned out rather difficult to get the balance right and I haven't managed yet without additional nutrition for the preditor.

Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/o042z30wo9k08 ... trate?dl=0

Objective (medium to difficult): Kill off the predator but leave the Photocytes alive

Max Cells inserted: 1

Cell Type allowed: all
Last edited by Alast on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
CandyYAHFT

Re: Flourishing Grounds

Post by CandyYAHFT » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:11 pm

I'm on PC so i haven't openned the substrate yet, but I it's a robin hood challenge :lol: :lol: 8-) REALY NICE IDEA, I haven't see anybody do this before
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:13 pm

Gotta keep things interesting :)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:51 am

Alast wrote:Turned out rather difficult to get the balance right and I haven't managed yet without additional nutrition for the preditor.
Excellent premise! I've come to expect that creating certain kinds of challenges are going to easier said than done :P Hats off to Petter for doing such a good job at this :P

Perhaps it's not surprising that one of my Tip the B solutions works on this. But that genome is already a monster.

There are certain sorts of "easy"/shortcut solutions that I try to rule out when I create challenges. I found some of these in your challenge ;) -- will send you a PM. That said, your stance might be, if someone can spot this sort of thing, more power to them! :P
Last edited by bwisialo on Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
amor fati
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:14 am

Yeah some genomes are so well designed that they don't need to have bugs on them to work, I know what genome are you talking about, and you're right, that genome is a monster, and BTW I now this is not the place, but I'd like to know if that genome was produced by evolution?
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:55 am

Yeah, I didn't test this challenge against my existing genomes. If I had made it saved-genome proof, it would be very to extremely difficult ;) But I wanted to tone down the difficulty level a bit.
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:05 pm

Yeah, if a challenge is impossible then is pointless, I like challenging challenges, that I have to give some though and they keep the fun, now that I know that I understand why my challenges are so unsuccessful, they got solved with 1 to 6 mode solutions, people solves it and got forgotten, but your challenges (both bwisialo and Alast ) are classics of the forum
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:50 pm

CandyYAHFT wrote:Yeah, if a challenge is impossible then is pointless, I like challenging challenges, that I have to give some though and they keep the fun, now that I know that I understand why my challenges are so unsuccessful, they got solved with 1 to 6 mode solutions, people solves it and got forgotten, but your challenges (both bwisialo and Alast ) are classics of the forum
Thanks! :P

I didn't mean making the challenge more difficult -- it's plenty difficulty :P Impossible wouldn't be good -- though maybe that should be an option for rating difficulty. ;) And I wasn't referring to gene-bank solutions. I was referring to "shortcut" solutions, which aren't necessarily a short route to take. :P
Last edited by bwisialo on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Mon Nov 30, 2015 5:52 pm

I think the cell count limit is inhibiting the growth of my species :( Or did you do that on purpose?
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Not quite sure I understand what you mean?