Virophages

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!

How difficult is Virophages?

Easy
No votes
Moderate
No votes
Difficult
No votes
Very Difficult
No votes
Extremely Difficult
100%

Total votes: 1
bwisialo

Re: Virophages

Post by bwisialo » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:05 am

CandyYAHFT wrote:The reason this is difficult is because it makes you work on a virus which infects different parts of the genome
No, not really.

My solution only uses 3 modes - Virocyte and Phagocyte-Flagellocyte swimmer. What you have to do is figure out which modes to use that allow you to both (1) avoid or limit the substrate species from infecting you and (2) infect the substrate species to get it spit out your virocytes. The substrate species' use of a complex arrangement of modes is what makes it difficult to figure this out.

And you don't need to infect different parts of the genome -- no more so than Infection II /III. My solution virus infects 3 modes (or 2, depending on how you count it). Also, regardless of what modes a particular substrate swimmer is made of (eg, a 2-3 swimmer or a 5-3 swimmer), my virus -- any virus for that matter -- will have the same effect on the swimmer's genome. Because the substrate swimmers all have one and the same genome. It's not as if you're infecting the species' different swimmers -- which are different parts of the genome -- in different ways. You're only infecting a fixed and specific set of modes in the substrate species' genome, and it only needs to be 3 modes. ;)
amor fati
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:07 am

Off, my approaching couldn't be more wrong, but I'm closer to figure out this
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:13 pm

Oh, this is a good one.

I was looking very closely at how my virus works. Swimmer that split immediately upon infection split into different sorts of swimmers. This happens in Infection II if you inspect closely. Most of the infection swimmer have no chance - like a Virocyte connected to a Flagellocyte. The swimmer that ends up taking over the substrate and completes the challenge is a fluke! ;) They way it immediately splits puts my cell modes in a place they shouldn't be given how infections works. It would take more work to create a virus versus virus challenge that made sense and worked well.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:32 pm

Wow, I actually made it! I basically loaded your genome and adjusted it to my own needs ;-) 1 cell was then enough to take over the substrate.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:15 pm

Did you copy from one mode to another? Was the substrate species spitting out your Virocyte? Did you only use one Virocyte?
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:19 pm

I only used 1 virocyte which got spit out by my swimmers. I copy from 1 mode to the same mode but it's not the mode of my Virocyte. I can send you my solution, if you want.

/edit: Huh... I guess it wasn't that easy... just to confirm I've rebuilt my solution from scratch without loading your genome. And not it doesn't work. I guess the modes of your genome I'm just not using anymore had an impact that I didn't see first... so back to the labrador!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:38 pm

If your Virocyte is part of you reproductive cycle - which it has to be in order to have enough of them and have the other species produce them - copying from any mode to the same mode will transfer your Virocyte over as well ;)
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:45 pm

I was about to upload this subtrate, but then you went and had to try the challenge ;) This species has much more straightforward parent child relations, in numerical order. The way the parent child are in the species, this change doesn't change has extremely little effect on how the species infects. But its a lot easier to look and make sense of now. You might want to use this substrate.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ak14qyqvsdqb4 ... trate?dl=0
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:01 pm

bwisialo wrote:If your Virocyte is part of you reproductive cycle - which it has to be in order to have enough of them and have the other species produce them - copying from any mode to the same mode will transfer your Virocyte over as well ;)
Well, yeah, but now my genome does not work... So it must have to do with the modes left from your genome that it worked before...
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:28 am

I think I was able to change my solution to be mostly or entirely legit. Some infected cell have my modes in the wrong place. But other cells infected cells have them in the right place! :) I was able to get around the change in modes by changing the Flaggelocytes children, allowing me to get a Phagocyte in the right place - and the right child settings - for the substrate species to reproduce my species. My species "steals" the other species' Flagellocyte, which makes the mode shift a bit easier.

The same sort of thing happens in Infection II / III if you inspect closely. And solutions to those challenges are considered legitimate. So... I think I may have figured out a set of modes and settings that work with correct copying! :D
amor fati