Harsh conditions V

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!

Do you think the name is OK?

No, change it
No votes
It matches
100%

Total votes: 1
CandyYAHFT

Re: Harsh conditions V

Post by CandyYAHFT » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:40 pm

I won't ever be trendy, I design when everybody is evolving, I evolve when everybody is designing, ufff
But, it seem like I could have the 1000 cell in my long term experiments, but I was just considering the higher equilibrium, when instability, actually gives a big boost at the start, hope I consider this in future challengs
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:47 pm

I wouldn't call it unstable. After all it keeps an average of 600-650 cells over time. The boost at the beginning basically comes from the initial nutrient saturation.

Btw. I always try to design ;)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:52 pm

"My" solution wasn't really mine at all. It was Alast's! :lol: I merely tweaked a genome Alast had sent me as a solution to another challenge. It really is a work of genius :) And Alast did a much better job of tweaking it than I did! So, it's not really mine to share, per se. ;)
amor fati
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:02 pm

Still sad because this wasn't as challenging as I spected, all of you already have good bases which only needed a little tweak, I started from the most basic nitro swimmer
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:39 pm

I solved this thing 2 times then :D But ultimately the original is better than the copy :mrgreen:
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:53 pm

On a side note: Positioning is very important for a good peak in this challenge. My genome can only peak at 1000+ cells when the initial cell is placed well. In my case it needs to be about 20% off the center to the left for maximum results.
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:58 pm

Whoa mine too, it reaches 1012, once I positioned well
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:59 pm

I still surprised, because people know more about my challenges than I do
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:32 pm

It's not your challenge really that I might know more about. I'd rather say it's a deeper understanding of (due to more experience with) certain mechanisms. In this particular case:

At the beginning the substrate is well saturated with nutrients. For a maximum peak you want to have an optimal distribution of your cells before the amount of food gets too low to support all of your swimmers. My genome initially swims to the right which results in a concentration of swimmers heading in that general direction. Ultimately that means that a lot of my swimmers won't reproduce anymore when they all hit the wall at the same time. And while the left side can still develop the right side has already reached it's local peak, resulting in a lower overall peak. So I want to place my initial cell on the left side, to give it enough room to reproduce towards the right side.

On the other hand, because my swimmers always spawn new cells to the same side relative to their orientation a single swimmer tends to swim in a circle. Due to that the number of swimmers heading towards the left side of the substrate soon catches up to the number of the right side. So if I place my initial cell too far to the left I again miss spawning opportunity on that side. So now the left side will already have reached it's peak while the right side can still develop. Again a lower overall peak. So I want to place my initial cell farther to the right.

Eventually the first wave of swimmers will hit the wall which determines when the peak happens. As after that there won't be any well saturated area left in that direction. So what you want to achieve is to have pretty much all sides hit the wall at the same time for a maximum of time where all sides can develop evenly. Only that way you can reach the highest peaks.

And as my swimmer initially swims right, I want to place it that much to the left that it spawns it's first new swimmer pretty much in the center of the dish. This allows for an optimal distribution of the first wave.

/edit: Ok, actually it is better for the first spawn to be farther to the left and not right on the center. As initially the tendency goes towards the right side due to the orientation of the initial cell, with my solution an even wall hit is given when the initial cell is about 20% off the center towards the left side (as previously stated). I just did another run on it and actually made it above 1150 cells with a very evenly timed wall hit.

/yet another edit: Further tests show that it's harder than I first thought to pick the perfect position. As nutrient distribution is somewhat random you can't always expect the same result from the same position. But I think the overall principle is clear anyway :)
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:27 pm

The low nutrient chunk is what makes it random
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY