Best 2 mode swimmers (no substrate challenge)

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
Alast

Re: Best 2 mode swimmers (no substrate challenge)

Post by Alast » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:00 am

How is it doing on a standard substrate?
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:57 pm

I didn't knew it was possible to max out in a standard substrate, with any kind of glitch free species, I'd love to see that, you could post them on showcase of our creations, or here if you don't mind, after all this isn't a real challenge
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:12 pm

Actually it hadnt maxed out. But I tweaked a little it more and... I dont know... the circumstances must have been perfect, the stars must have been aligned, nutrient distribution and initial cell placement mist have been ideal... I actually had 1 run where my swimmer did max out for a split second.

Will post it here later.
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:35 pm

My first 2-mode wasn't well designed. It got into the 500s on the standard substrate. I changed to a stronger swimmer and a better design, and it maxes out over 50% of the time. ;)
amor fati
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:04 pm

@Alast - You worked long enough to get many another challenge solved. ;) I'm sure it wouldn't take you much time to get 800 here, especially since you're already so close. ;)

/edit: I don't mean you should work further to get an 800 genome. I mean, you're already close enough to know you can do it - job done. But for some reason I think you aren't going to let it lie are going to work further to get 800 anyway ;)
Last edited by bwisialo on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:07 pm

Well, i did get it maxing out... once ;-)
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:25 pm

I could tweak things to get 800 every time, and so could you. But like I said - in edit above - when you're that close, that goal is for all intents and purposes already met ;) The job's done, but - knowing your perfectionism - you're going to continue to tweak your species to improve anyway, aren't you? ;)
amor fati
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:08 pm

Haha, I see what you mean. We'll see. Of course, I did try a little more, but didn' really get anywhere. And I am pretty happy having seen the 800 :) So I might try some more, but not necessarily with vigorous effort ;)

/edit: Ouf, ok... tweaking manually is hard work. Maybe it's getting time to actually switch on Radiation...
CandyYAHFT

Post by CandyYAHFT » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:41 pm

Wait wait wait ...

How the hell do you can make radiation give you 2 mode swimmers?
And BTW, I think there's no much to tweak in 2 modes, what are you tweaking exactly?
PEACE & LOVE,
CANDY
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:09 pm

Alast wrote:/edit: Ouf, ok... tweaking manually is hard work. Maybe it's getting time to actually switch on Radiation...
@CandyYAHT - Alast probably didn't get to a 2-mode swimmer by using evolution. Alast probably designed the 2-mode swimmer. What Alast means - I think - is applying radiation to the designed swimmer and seeing if that improves the species.

@Alast - If your 2-mode falls to low numbers after the first wave, radiation will probably give you a species that has higher sustained average numbers than the average that your 2-mode falls to. But the new swimmers probably won't have the design necessary to give you higher first wave peak numbers.

That's one of the challenges when you run evolution, even with standard species that don't change design with evolution. For example, suppose you're evolving for Macrophages IV, and your starting with a swimmer species that can reach 270 on the first wave but then falls to an average of 200. It's very possible for evolution to give you a swimmer species that sustains an average of 220, but that has a lower first wave number. What's good for a first wave burst isn't necessarily what's good for high average numbers, and vice versa. ;)

If I applied radiation to my swimmer chain that reaches 800 on Macrophages V, the resulting species wouldn't get anywhere near 800. ;)
amor fati