Easy Evolution

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
wapcaplet

Re: Easy Evolution

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:33 pm

Given a substrate with a devorocyte parasite already living there, enabling keratinocytes may make the parasite stronger. Protected devorocytes can eat unprotected devorocytes, as well as any other unprotected cells. Here is such a parasite, living amongst the buoyo-phage organisms it evolved together with:

Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7n6oa0t1eaokf ... trate?dl=0
pbdk-3org-inset.png
pbdk-3org-inset.png (25.59 KiB) Viewed 1792 times

Here is the same parasite, thrown together with a swimmer that evolved separately:

Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4w2pr4rym7fj ... trate?dl=0
pf-vs-dk-2org-inset.png
pf-vs-dk-2org-inset.png (23.45 KiB) Viewed 1791 times
Notice how thick is the band of protected parasites! These swimmers give them plenty of food, and the keratin allows them to stack up a large cell count in a way that unprotected parasites cannot do.

Side note: These pink swimmers are my current winner for the "at least 200 cells" objective of this challenge. They evolved over approximately 30,000 substrate hours at radiation=0.010 and became quite efficient. These little guys can also win the in-game "Macrophages III" first swimmer challenge, and even "Macrophages V" where cells die at the edge--no problem for swimmers that evolved here! They cannot quite win "Macrophages IV", but come close, and could undoubtedly do it with some evolution on that substrate first.
EliteMacro_37

Post by EliteMacro_37 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:52 am

Cool
The most annoying user in 2019, feel free to ignore
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:26 am

These species began their ancestry as buoyo-phages, and were evolved to include devorocytes and keratin.

Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qv5db3iedimhd ... trate?dl=0
biteys-3org-inset.png
biteys-3org-inset.png (23.6 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Any of the three can survive alone indefinitely. The green ones at the bottom are still simple buoyo-phages, with no devorocytes appearing in the life cycle. However, the reds and blues both have prominent devorocytes, mode M22, derived from their common ancestry. The devorocyte is short-lived with a very low split mass, but appears frequently enough to consider these species omnivorous (and often cannibalistic).

The blues have several mechanisms to improve their survival. First, because they evolved from buoyo-phages, they still occasionally have buoyocytes in their life cycle, helping them lift out of the center band. Second, having both phagocytes and devorocytes gives them two possible food sources. In fact their devorocyte is often connected with adhesin to a phagocyte (quickly consumed), a mutation I have seen many times before, and quite effective for picking up food and giving devorocytes mobility. They become like little inchworm predators. Third, they include a brief keratin-protected phagocyte egg phase, allowing them to incubate without being consumed by their own devorocytes. Unfortunately it isn't very efficient, and leaves a lot of dying/detached keratinocytes behind.
Captain_Pacho

Post by Captain_Pacho » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:25 pm

wapcaplet wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:12 pm
This is one of my favorite ecosystems to have evolved here. There are three organisms, each with a niche. I color-coded them for easier distinction.

Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/6rbmm3fo7ja1q ... trate?dl=0

blinky-buoys-3org-inset.png

The pink swimmers evolved from the green buoyo-phages, when the buoyocyte mutated and became a flagellocyte. You will notice the pink swimmers often infiltrate the bottom of the substrate, but the green buoyo-phages are more efficient there, and will defend their niche. Either organism can survive alone indefinitely, sustaining about 180-240 cells. I love the blooming, explosive way the pink swimmers reproduce, especially when you let them have the substrate to themselves.

Meanwhile, a devorocyte-phagocyte parasite of sorts evolved in the middle, which I've colored orange. This organism can survive for a while by itself due to the strong phagocyte presence in its life cycle, but is unstable over the long term and may die out without another food source to feed the devorocytes.

I tried to run your simulations for 45000 hours . Something strange happened to me . All of the organisms did died but green no. Then I added a little of more radiation and suddenly everything was almost like on start , except colour and adhesins between devorocites
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:07 am

Captain_Pacho wrote:
Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:25 pm
I tried to run your simulations for 45000 hours . Something strange happened to me . All of the organisms did died but green no. Then I added a little of more radiation and suddenly everything was almost like on start , except colour and adhesins between devorocites
That is a long time! At low radiation (0.001 - 0.010) over such a long period I would expect the existing species to become very efficient, eliminating a lot of unproductive modes and behaviors. But at higher radiation (0.011 - 0.030) you are likely to see rapid changes, such as the top or bottom species dying out completely, and perhaps a totally different one taking its place, along with wide fluctuations in cell count. Because it is such a small substrate, things tend to happen quickly.
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:02 pm

This substrate began with a floating algae organism. After reaching a stable population of photo-buoyos, I contaminated some phago-buoyos and devorocytes. After some evolution, I ended up with a stable 3-species ecosystem.

Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/omx2lns696owi ... trate?dl=0
full-3org-inset.png
full-3org-inset.png (30 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:13 pm

Sometimes an evolved organism will have vestigial traits. Here, I have two species of buoyo-phages that evolved a strong keratin defense mechanism. Perhaps due to this strong defense, all the devorocyte species in the substrate died off, leaving only these two genomes with vestigial keratin.

Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sewz1y663o7qf ... trate?dl=0
pbk-2org-inset.png
pbk-2org-inset.png (31.59 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
The excess keratin helps the organism spread to fill a wide band in the center, but a lot of the keratin cells are unattached, and effectively a waste of nutrients. With further evolution in the absence of devorocytes, I would expect the vestigial keratin cells to gradually disappear.
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:31 pm

This challenge has been a great opportunity for me to see the effect of radiation on organisms over time - in particular on their cell count. Using the "Log substrate statistics" feature, I have charted the evolutionary progress of some organisms on this substrate.

Here is an overview chart of phagocyte-buoyocyte evolution. Substrate time (hours) is on the x-axis, with a dual y-axis showing food mass and total cells.
phago-buoyo-evo-charts.png
The two smaller charts on top are short-term (2000h), while the larger bottom chart is over 10,000h. For the two smaller charts on the top, I did this:
  • Enable phagocyte + buoyocyte
  • Tick "Contaminate cells" once (then off)
  • Set radiation = 0.010 and evolve for 1000h
  • Set radiation = 0.0 and stabilize for 1000h
As you can see, in the first case, cell count varied wildly, and did not improve significantly. But in the second case, cell count stabilized at a little over 400.

Over a longer term, I often see the total cell count increase and stabilize, while the total available food decreases likewise.
WhatTheSillyName

Post by WhatTheSillyName » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:15 pm

Wow, you did more than enough.
This is so awesome beside of other amazing creatures.
Ya~