Coöperation

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
MikPluis

Coöperation

Post by MikPluis » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:11 pm

This ecosystem has two species in it, a smart swimmer and a smart hunter. The swimmer produces food for the hunter and the hunter eats it and does not hunt the swimmer, but when the swimmers do not produce enough food and the hunter's stemocyte is too small, the hunter gets angry and the stemocyte transforms into a stereocyte and the hunter starts to hunt the swimmers down. After a time, the hunters start to hit the swimmers without purouse (or however you write that), and the swimmers are too low in number to feed all the hunters. Because of that, the hunters get angry and because there are so many of them they kill all the swimmers. At the and everybody dies :cry: . I tried it with max nurient rate, size and max salinity, and the swimmers where still not able to keep up with the hunters. I hope you like it.

Old link :!:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yamwfoa2pyimf ... trate?dl=0

Edit:

This is the new plate, it looks stable, it works for a long time now and I don't think it is going to change soon. This is the new link.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1msb2mmnldcz4 ... trate?dl=0

Ps:
I hope the link works, it is my first time sharing a link on the forum, and I hope my English was good, I'm Dutch. If you try to make a new ecosystem, make sure there are enough swimmers before you place the hunters.
Last edited by MikPluis on Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(o) s are amazing
Alast

Re: Coöperation

Post by Alast » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Looks like your problem is the high salinity. Your Substrate maxes out preventing your prey from producing enough food. Try a salinity around 0.6, that should help keeping a balance.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:18 pm

Nice concept! I like how you have made the behavior change based on the mass of the stemocyte. Part of the imbalance I think is because once a hunter has become "angry", they stay angry even after getting more food, and keep hunting the green swimmers.

To see what is happening over the long term, I used the "log statistics to file" feature in Cell Lab settings to compare swimmer and hunter populations, then used Google Sheets to graph their cell count over time. In two attempts, the hunters died out within about 1200h:
coop-2.png
coop-2.png (8.55 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
The chart shows substrate time on the horizontal (x) axis, and cell count on the vertical (y) axis, in colors matching your original organism. The "snack" is the yellow lipocyte pairs left by swimmers.

I tried a small change, restoring the "calm" behavior whenever the hunter makes a new egg, by birthing the egg on the other side. Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e11hxeuiai9op ... trate?dl=0

With this change, on my first try, all the hunters died out in less than 500h. But on the second try, they lasted much longer. Here's a chart of their progress over 2500h:
relief-2.png
relief-2.png (10.21 KiB) Viewed 1089 times
Hard to say whether it's a significant improvement, since hunters are still often on the brink of extinction. I expect they would be more stable in a larger substrate.
MikPluis

Post by MikPluis » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:42 pm

wapcaplet wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:18 pm
Nice concept! I like how you have made the behavior change based on the mass of the stemocyte. Part of the imbalance I think is because once a hunter has become "angry", they stay angry even after getting more food, and keep hunting the green swimmers.

To see what is happening over the long term, I used the "log statistics to file" feature in Cell Lab settings to compare swimmer and hunter populations, then used Google Sheets to graph their cell count over time. In two attempts, the hunters died out within about 1200h:

coop-2.png

The chart shows substrate time on the horizontal (x) axis, and cell count on the vertical (y) axis, in colors matching your original organism. The "snack" is the yellow lipocyte pairs left by swimmers.

I tried a small change, restoring the "calm" behavior whenever the hunter makes a new egg, by birthing the egg on the other side. Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e11hxeuiai9op ... trate?dl=0

With this change, on my first try, all the hunters died out in less than 500h. But on the second try, they lasted much longer. Here's a chart of their progress over 2500h:

relief-2.png

Hard to say whether it's a significant improvement, since hunters are still often on the brink of extinction. I expect they would be more stable in a larger substrate.
Nice change, it is so easy, I don't get why I didn't think of it, because I tried to get an solution for the problem of keeping angry. I also like the graphs ;)
(o) s are amazing