More modes

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
WhatTheSillyName

Re: More modes

Post by WhatTheSillyName » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:50 am

Petter wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:21 am
I think CL started with 10 modes, then increased to 25 after requests, then increased to 40 after requests, now there are requests for 80, and if I set it to 80 there will be requests for 160 :D The problem is that phones run out of memory, I increased in the past since phones have been getting more memory. I understand there are cases where more than 40 modes are useful, but those cases are not really the way CL is meant to be used. I suspect those organisms aren't really evolutionarily fit but more sort of decorative. If I increase modes to 80, then many users wouldnt be able to make as big substrates, and overall it would run slower since it has to shuffle more memory. I think 40 is a pretty good compromise, actually a bit higher than I would like. I feel like evolution worked better with fewer modes, more likely for useful life cycles to connect.

What a useful mutation rate is depends on how complex your organisms are and on how long their generations are, no single value is great for all situations.
Ohh, I see
That's the reason why the limit of modes is 40 :o
Mrtn

Post by Mrtn » Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:47 pm

Why not add an advanced option to set number of modes?
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:13 pm

This request has been made many times before and generally it is good to search if a suggestion has been made already. More details of why i don't want this can be found e.g. here: http://forum.cell-lab.net/viewtopic.php ... ory#p17299
ElNico5

Post by ElNico5 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:07 pm

Maybe each substrate can have like a max modes setting for organisms in it, so for tutorials and first levels there could be 5 modes max bur if you need a gazillion modes just push it all the way up
Writing from a small house in Agmalarkiia
Discord

Post by Discord » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:10 pm

Petter wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:21 am
I think CL started with 10 modes, then increased to 25 after requests, then increased to 40 after requests, now there are requests for 80, and if I set it to 80 there will be requests for 160 :D The problem is that phones run out of memory, I increased in the past since phones have been getting more memory. I understand there are cases where more than 40 modes are useful, but those cases are not really the way CL is meant to be used. I suspect those organisms aren't really evolutionarily fit but more sort of decorative. If I increase modes to 80, then many users wouldnt be able to make as big substrates, and overall it would run slower since it has to shuffle more memory. I think 40 is a pretty good compromise, actually a bit higher than I would like. I feel like evolution worked better with fewer modes, more likely for useful life cycles to connect.

What a useful mutation rate is depends on how complex your organisms are and on how long their generations are, no single value is great for all situations.
What about mentioning the number of modes in substrate settings?
L (o) L