35: Friction

Here we remember old challenge discussions that got purged in the great forum cleanup of 2018.
bwisialo

Re: 35: Friction

Post by bwisialo » Mon May 16, 2016 9:00 pm

Also, for the first Friction challenge, I don't think your M2 Spli mass needs to be as high as 3,55. It should be relatively high, but I don't think it has to be that high.
amor fati
Botcell

Post by Botcell » Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Can't seem to get it to work. It gets going for a while then the first gets stuck with another cell and it goes downhill from that.
"Oh hey do you see that?"
"Yeah it's getting bigger"
"Wait I think tha-"
*Slams into substrate wall*
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:33 pm

Make sure the front Phagocyte splits at an angle so that the new cell it spits out isn't in the crawler's way. The best way to do this is by adjusting the appropriate Child angle for the cell that produces the front Phagocyte. Is that what is happening, or something else?
amor fati
Botcell

Post by Botcell » Thu Jun 09, 2016 1:56 pm

Well I did that but soon the new swimmer gets stuck to the mother cell. The other cells don't get enough food and tend to die out rather quickly.
"Wait I think tha-"
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:41 pm

You don't want to build a swimmer in Friction but a crawler :)

What's your design like? Which cells are you using at which place and how is your organism developing from a spawn cell to it's final (moving) stage to reproduce?

Also, if a child sticks to its parent you'll want to uncheck Keep Adhesin at the right stages for it to detach properly. Or if the child simply runs into its parent and gets stuck that way, make sure it's oriented away from its parent to start moving into a new direction. I usually orient the spawn cell to a 180° angle to point away from the parent. But depending on where it spawns there are different ways. Bottom line is the arrow of the spawn in the preview window should point away from the parent if your organism develops in such a way that the spawn cell arrow also indicates its move direction.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
Botcell

Post by Botcell » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:16 pm

It starts with a Phagocyte then splits into a neurocyte and a phagocyte. The neurocyte splits into another neurocyte and the mytocyte. I can't post the whole thing because I'm on my phone. If I could upload pictures here directly I could post how my organism turns into later on. It goes on as planned then the cells stick together and counteract each other in a moving mass. Oh and the two cells that stick aren't meant to stick together but they somehow stick even though neither have Keep Adhesin.
"Wait I think tha-"
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:31 pm

Sounds like at some point your offspring doesnt properly detach from its parent. You can look into that in the preview to see at which point the detaching fails.
peorthyr

Post by peorthyr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:30 pm

I definitely need help.
I'm totally stuck on this challenge, first these are the cells:

M1
Phagocyte
Make adhesin
split at mass 2.29
nutrient priority: 3.83
child 1: M2
child 2: M3 (mirror)
child 2 angle: 90°

M2
Phagocyte
Make adhesin
Child 1: M4
Child 2: M5
split mass: 2.03

M3
Phagocyte
Child 1: M3
Child 2: M1 (don't keep adhesin)
splitting mass:2.54

M4
Neurocyte
S1: a=80, b=0.75
S2: a=-80, b= -0.26

M5
Myocyte
Muscle lift: a=8.00, b=-1.00
Muscle contaction: a=4.00, b=-0,50

I've arrived to these values through iteration mainly, because at the beginning I din't understand the neurocyte very well,
ok, actually they could move quite well, and if they starts to reproduce, the main thing can last a couple of minutes before everything die.
trying also to figure out what could be a good enviroment for this challenge, I mean, I've try to reproduce the enviroment to make some more tests, but with few luck, any advices?
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:10 pm

You might want to keep b at 0 for lift and contraction and let the signal substance do its work.

Also you could try to have your M1 keep its adhesion until it is ready to split. That should be at higher cell masses to allow the cell to develop into its final stage without needing extra nutrients. Lipocytes make for good seeds to achieve that.
peorthyr

Post by peorthyr » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:57 pm

that lipocyte trick is very itneresting, you say, I make the M3 split into a lipocyte (keeping connection with the main worm) and it splits directly into the 2 phagocytes (this time letting also them free from adhesine) and so on... really nice idea, I'll try this out asap.