Reaver - Immortal Predator

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
wapcaplet

Reaver - Immortal Predator

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:27 am

In a spin-off experiment based on Bwisialo's Predator and Prey - Equilibrium challenge, I wanted to try making an immortal predator--one that can long outlast the 240h cell age limit, never reproduces, and can survive indefinitely as the sole predator at an all-you-can-eat buffet.

After several failed designs, I found one that works! This is the reaver:

reaver.substrate
reaver.png
reaver.png (18.03 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
The reaver living in the substrate has been alive for 2,000h, with no sign of stopping. Every cell in the organism does a 90/10 split when it reaches a certain mass, and I've tuned it so all cells have the opportunity to split whenever the reaver feeds on prey, so it emits huge clouds of red puffs and nutrient debris while eating. Since each cell is "splitting" frequently, none of them live long enough to die of old age, and so the organism as a whole is not susceptible to aging.

I kept the same smart prey (red-avoiding) from the challenge, with a smaller substrate and slightly more nutrients, since this is mostly a proof of concept, and chose the name "reaver" after the reavers in the Firefly TV series, since it reminds me a little of the decrepit reaver ship running without core containment in the pilot episode.

This leads to a very different flavor of predator/prey equilibrium :-)
Nayus

Re: Reaver - Immortal Predator

Post by Nayus » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:58 pm

Cool! :mrgreen:
This method gets harder and harder to do the more cells the organism has.

You did it with 6 and its really solid.

I thought it would have a very specific and different set of Nutrient priorities but I see you just made the Devorocytes have a bit less than the rest.
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:24 pm

I was surprised how easy it was with this swimmer layout. Earlier I tried a straight 5-cell myo swimmer, but that was almost impossible to get nutrient priorities and split mass to balance with, since nutrients have to travel in a straight line through all the cells. It helps a lot to have multiple adhesins so they can all share nutrients more equally. The double-devorocyte in front helped too; without it, the front devorocyte was making a second one anyway from the 10% split.
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Nice so now you've made a cell god ... Awsome. Lets see how many cells you can fit in to a immortal cell. ;)

I've got got whole series of Firefly and Moonlight. (and I Dream of Jeanie)
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."