3D Graphics/Organisms

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
ruffo

Re: 3D Graphics/Organisms

Post by ruffo » Tue May 09, 2017 8:16 pm

bwisialo wrote:I like the "a bit 3d" concept. :D I don't know how it would work, but it seems like it could be a sort of z-axis going straight "in". So, instead of layers per se, the cells could have a depth or altitude or "z" variable, and they would look larger or smaller depending on how close they were to the "surface."
Hmm... but larger/smaller already have a meaning. This way you wouldn't know if a cell is running low on nutrients or just far away...
bwisialo

Post by bwisialo » Tue May 09, 2017 8:35 pm

True. Some different gradient change would gave to be combined size change for depth. Like the colors decreasing in saturation or something.
amor fati
Tarux

Post by Tarux » Tue May 09, 2017 9:06 pm

Petter wrote:I actually started making something like this like 7 years ago for PC. I spent a lot of time making a beautiful 3d environment for the cells but in the end never got around to making the cells. The environment was beautiful though :P. Technically I don't think it will be very hard. The computational costs for the same number of cells will not be much higher in 3d. However I'm unsure how playable it would be. Indeed it would be like a completely different game. The splitting angles will be a lot more difficult for the user to keep track of. If we want cells to interact without being smart, then they have to be quite dense and I'm afraid the user would not be able to see much. It would be like swimming in vegetable soup, you wouldn't see very much. For a less dense environment, devorocytes wouldn't touch anything any not work. It could work for smart organisms though.

I've been considering making CL a little bit 3d. Like 3d cells swimming on a plate that can go a bit under each other. Kind of like cells on a petri dish in real life.
Oh cool! Yeah, in 3D it would be much harder to work with organisms.
Making cell lab a pseudo-3D game seems cool and quite interesting!
Ahh, the fresh smell of celluar mitosis!
Tarux

Post by Tarux » Tue May 09, 2017 11:30 pm

There should be an option to switch between a 2D substrate, to a 3D substrate, in the substrate advanced settings, with organisms to match (a 2D genome bank, and a 3D genome bank).

That way you can still enjoy playing the "Classic Cell Lab" version, where you can only make 2D organisms. This can also make Cell Lab easier to new players, first with the 2D substrate, then on to trying out the much more complex 3D substrate, only after they have acquired enough creature and genome knowledge.

The 3D substrate might also only be unlockable through a 3D challenge, along with the 3D genome bank, 3D cells, and more 3D challenges and 3D tutorials.
==============================================================================================================================In the 3D substrate, there should also be an option to switch from between bit 3D, to full 3D.

Full 3D could probably be 3-dimensional organisms floating above a 2-dimensional substrate with the default position of the point of view being at ground level, kind of like how in Star Wars holograms are projected floating above a flat table, having a maximum adjustable render height (ceiling), with the projected organism's cells being slightly transparent, depending on how deep the cell is within the organism.

Bit 3D could again, be organisms overlapping each other, but you might also be able to see the organisms twirl and spin, as if you were watching transparent fish swim. This could probably make it easier to view all the 3D organisms.

Maybe this option can also be added to the genome editor? But I don't really know what significance that it would make, or if it helps designing organisms at all.

Jeez, I would love to see all this happen! Maybe a couple more updates later. :) :) :) :)
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Wed May 10, 2017 8:16 am

Alast wrote:How would you do that? Have something like 2 or 3 layers that cells can switch layers?
Probably just have proper 3d cells, but then they live on a substrate with rather strong gravity so they will be more or less confined to a plande anyways. One could perhaps use ordinary cells, or design with 3d split angles and then they can end up on top of each other. Graphics would be 3d with shadows and reflections so I don't think it would be hard to see the depth. It would be hard to see what goes on inside of organisms though, maybe a cross section view would be necessary. I don't have any plans on implementing this though. It would look very nice for sure but I'm not certain it would be more fun to play/give more interesting organisms.
Megathosto14

Post by Megathosto14 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:14 pm

If 3D can be done, it's great. But in the genome editor, instead of using angle, we need to use latitude and longitude? Or the cells split can be adjusted by two finger?

I don't really know. But for now, I would love to see things like rocks,sand,water,dust in the plate. It will look more like a habitat.
Killing one makes one a sinner.
Killing hundreds makes one a hero.
Killing thousands makes one a king.
Killing millions makes one an emperor.
Nayus

Post by Nayus » Wed May 10, 2017 10:13 pm

It. Would. Be. Awesome... But:

The genome editor would be a nightmare. Not only Split angle, but the split direction of the daughters would have to have the double of settings, and it would have to be some form of see-through or invisibility in the preview that makes some cells invisible so you can see the one behind, if you want to see a cell that is surrounded by other. The preview itself should also be able to move in 3D, the adhesin connections would have a very different system, right?
If gravity is not a standard part of it, Stereocytes would have to be completely reimagined to detect differences in 3D space, either that or having a constant 2-Stereocyte system for smart navigation. If grativy is default, weight of cells would have to be implemented in a more detailed way, because building quadrupeds (which would be insane)

All that in a tiny phone screen? :? Don't count me on it.

I think they couldn't be connected in a consistent way, so to me it would have to be a different game (Spore!). So no 2D/3D switch

The 3D-ish idea, however, sounds interesting and definetly more doable.
Tarux

Post by Tarux » Thu May 11, 2017 12:13 am

Yeah you're right. The 3D could very well be a nightmare. A pseudo-3D does sound way more doable and plausible.
Reaper Elite
Location: In the Underworld eating bacon and watching anime with Marilyn Monroe

Post by Reaper Elite » Thu May 11, 2017 1:16 am

For pc i could see full 3D. But for mobile the flat 3D would work just fine. ( I love Spore!!! (+cheat engine of coarse))
"A mercenary can always find a war to fight if they look hard enough"
"You become a changed person when you face me and deny me your soul."
WereForumie2930

Post by WereForumie2930 » Fri May 18, 2018 1:12 pm

It would be such a cool idea, but y'know, it would be pretty hard to program the game that way..
I'm always moving, like a Flagellocyte, or always eating, like a Phagocyte.. Life is like being a cell, except.. we aren't microscopic!