Microscopic Factories

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
C4pung

Microscopic Factories

Post by C4pung » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:00 pm

I have grown some interest in Alast's skin tissue lately (that sounds weird) from the nanobots challenge. While learning to use virocytes, ive come up a way to change every single individual cells into a new cell type i want, in this case ciliocytes.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrz9vb2wtnp3x ... trate?dl=0 (work is still in progress)

The premise here is i try to make a huge conveyor belt that can transport cells from the top of the plate to the bottom (via red channel) and vice versa (via green channel). Right now, only the red channel works and i need to change a few more cells in order for the green one to work.

For the method i use to change individual cells, its kinda like solving a rubiks cube, when you do a move to solve a piece, and undo it to restore other piece. I change them in group of 2 and 4 for the center ones, which is really tedious :lol: . So if i want to make a column of "left ciliocytes" i change 2 column of photocytes into ciliocytes, and change a column of ciliocytes back into photocytes and its adjacent photocytes (you can see the colors changed).

Also part of the tedious process, all of the photocyte have a fixed orientation, so in order to change it i need to copy the genome from the virus and make it split 90/10 in order to change the orientation, this also mix up the modes and is really tedious (and confusing) to do. Until now i spent +4 hours just to learn and change like 30 cells :lol:

Ps. Sorry long post
Last edited by C4pung on Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
C4pung

Re: Microscopic Factories

Post by C4pung » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:14 pm

Things im working on the conveyor:
-manually change the rear end of both channels to provide more locomotion by turning on both left and right cilia
-add yellow row conveyor on the bottom side
-add front end of the green channel

Ideas i want to implement:
-genetic drift. Have 2 swimmers under the same genome to produce gametes, each swimmer live in diffrent hemisphere seperated by the conveyor belt. They can only produce by sending the gametes through the conveyor belt

-polypeptide synthesis (real hard to do). A simplified version of making chains of cells based on stimulus. I will try to implement a network of neurocytes to the conveyor belt to detect certain colors. After detecting the color, it will send a signal to a stemocyte module to produce certain chains. I dont know if i would be able to make it :lol:

-mechanical digestion. Protease can snap adhesion connections, but from my earlier experiments, the rows of ciliocytes in the conveyor can snap adhesin connection of pair of cells. Maybe i can feed predators with immune swimmers that are mutilated by the conveyors (that means i need to make the conveyors immune too)

-more pixel art! :D . Now that i can change the individual cells, making pixel art wouldnt be that hard i think. Maybe i start with easy 8x8 sprites

Any other ideas? :)
Currently resides in Showcase of Our Creations . Have you realized how many (o) you killed everytime you press the sterilize button? You monster ! :cry:
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:11 pm

Finally finished working on the conveyor itself :D . I put some photocytes to see how it rolls and it reminds me of a sushi plate conveyor belt:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0p0kszmslck4x ... trate?dl=0

Just as before, green push the cells up, red push it down, and yellow send the cells to the other channel. This make the cells cycle clockwise.

I will try to add in a few sexually reproducing swimmers tommorow and see how the channels can handle bigger cells
Last edited by C4pung on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Alast

Post by Alast » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:36 am

Nice work! Really is fun watching the Photocytes move around :-)
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:07 pm

Gosh darn it, it really is hard to implement smart swimmers :( . The conveyor are as lethal as the mouth of stomach swimmers, killing any swimmers as well as itself upon consuming. I need to make a super smart swimmer (that can avoid) and make the conveyor belt the same color (really time consuming)

Meanwhile, i have a simpler version:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ono87ti3f6y9w ... trate?dl=0

Same conveyor belt, in this case i will call it the membrane. The premise here is to divide the two species of dumb swimmers (light and dark blue), and only their genome can pass into the selective membrane.

I designed the swimmers so they will have as little mass on their head, so if they try to breach the membrane, they will get decapitated. After a few dozen hours some gamete will already cross the membrane and will start mixing genome between the two species
Last edited by C4pung on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 am

I was thinking that you could actually turn this into a demonstration of a cell's membrane, where the surface has transport proteins, ATP syhnthase and everything. It'll be cool.
Are complex creatures too advanced for you to understand?
Well, let me flood you with them.
Alast

Post by Alast » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:10 am

And with Senseocytes behind the Ciliocytes you can make it selectively permeable by only allowing certain colors in and repelling others.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:17 am

Probably Stereocytes would be more effective to give it a sense of direction.
C4pung

Post by C4pung » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:03 am

H4yw1r3 wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 am
I was thinking that you could actually turn this into a demonstration of a cell's membrane, where the surface has transport proteins, ATP syhnthase and everything. It'll be cool.
Yes! :D that was i initially going for, the red and green channel represents Calcium and Potassium pumps. I think i might be able to set up a big (+20 cells) structure on top of the membrane but i dont know what to to do with ATP synthase as well as the other electron transport proteins
Alast wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:10 am
And with Senseocytes behind the Ciliocytes you can make it selectively permeable by only allowing certain colors in and repelling others.
Yes, as haywire said using stereocyte might be easier, but the problem is the cell will go back to the membrane because of gravity, making an endless loop. What maybe interesting (and really damn hard) is a truly selective membrane, where channel turn on and off to redirect cells based on their color.

As of now, i want to proceed on making my protein synthesis machine, starting by experimenting with stemo-stereocyte as well neurocytes to "translate the language". Then i will make a newer membrane with only 1 pump but a whole lot of integrated circuits inside of it (might need to check out cell circuitry video ;) )
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:28 am

How about an inverted Y tunnel, with one path as a source of cells and two paths for the destination. A Ciliocyte would be placed on the wall that separates the two destination paths. A Stereocyte could be below it to have a more accurate 'which-is-which' decision.

EDIT: Grammar Corrections.