Make programmable cells easier to mutate.

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
fungus3

Make programmable cells easier to mutate.

Post by fungus3 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:43 pm

Even at the maximum possible radiation value, it is almost impossible for programmable parameters to change through mutation, whereas mutating the cell types is so easy to occur. Radiation also favors dumb organisms over smart ones, with mutations always becoming extinction-inducing if point mutations are off.
Wilcz

Re: Make programmable cells easier to mutate.

Post by Wilcz » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:44 pm

The parameters do change though.

And I'm pretty sure there was a thread about this: evolution doesn't care if you are smart or dumb. If something eats and lives long enough to reproduce then it's good enough to stay around. Viruses are a (sorta) good example. They don't have brains and yet they have been around for millions of years. Simply because they reproduce extremely well and (guess what) mutate a lot.

Besides, you can already select the 'only point mutations' check in the game. What it does is it only changes the parameters and doesn't mutate the cell types.
Seandoggy
Location: North of the south pole, south of the north pole. Certainly on earth for all of 2000-2017.

Post by Seandoggy » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:32 pm

Solution: give time for the parameters to mutate, with point mutations on. Chances don't matter if you reproduce an expirement infinity times. All results will happen infinite times. In this case, it's the chances of mutating parameters, and you do the expirement lots of times. Lots is a lot. So you should get lots of mutations.
Seandoggy has <3 Cell Lab for 2 years, now (o)
Alast

Post by Alast » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 pm

We've had all this before... As far as I recall Petter has explained that any mutation has the same probability. You just won't see programmable settings mutated if they don't have an effect.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
fungus3

Post by fungus3 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Then perhaps make it so that mutations only use the modes that are actually used by a genome rather than simply mutating a mode that is never going to be used.
Seandoggy
Location: North of the south pole, south of the north pole. Certainly on earth for all of 2000-2017.

Post by Seandoggy » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:23 pm

How would you do that.... Ah yes, a crawler algorithm that crawls the genome to find what cells are used. Could break on a select few species, though.
Wilcz

Post by Wilcz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:41 pm

fungus3 wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:21 pm
Then perhaps make it so that mutations only use the modes that are actually used by a genome rather than simply mutating a mode that is never going to be used.
You can do that too. Just uncheck all the other cell types in the plate settings tab.
fungus3

Post by fungus3 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:52 pm

That is not what I mean.
Wilcz

Post by Wilcz » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:38 pm

fungus3 wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:52 pm
That is not what I mean.
Oh, ok. I reread your last post. But imagine this: you set the radiation to mess with only a couple of modes. Let's say the first five. Also, let's say the first three are cruicial for the organism to grow properly and reach maturity. Now, if one of these 3 modes gets screwed with and the organism is unable to reach the final form it dies without leaving any offspring. And that's the opposite of what you want.

Now, imagine you have all the modes (there are like 40, right?) and one of the three modes gets changed BUT in a way that it leaps to 35th mode and now that cell leads to reaching some other form of maturity (because it has more than 5 modes to work with). Now if that organism can reproduce using more than the 5 modes it is more likely to survive.

The more possibilities to mutate, adapt and survive, the more likely it is to create a new (possibly intelligent) species. That's pretty much what happened to my hard to kill organism. It used more than the initial 3 modes I gave it and what came out of it (and radiation) is a highly successful Alien-like creature that hijacks other organisms via a virus. Even with harsh radiation levels other organisms can't stand. All thanks to more than the initial 3 modes and a lot of radiation.
Seandoggy

Post by Seandoggy » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:53 am

Can we see your alien?