Avoidance

Some challenges are hard :). Here we can discuss their solutions. Please find the thread for the appropriate challenge or create it if it doesn't exist.
Nayus

Avoidance

Post by Nayus » Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:38 am

Avoidance

Difficulty: Mad Scientist

Progress: Optional chaallenge

Description: Can you make a species reproduce to 150 cells while keeping the initial cell count low for 100 h?

Win Conditions: A population of 150 or more user cells for 100h without triggering the substrate organism

General Strategy: Make an organism that completely avoids Green
wapcaplet

Re: Avoidance

Post by wapcaplet » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:05 am

To win this challenge, an organism must sustain itself with intelligent food-seeking behavior, and also avoid touching the green cells in the middle--because if anything gets too close to them, they will explode in a shower of photocytes, ruining your species!

A swimming organism is probably the best choice, since there is some viscosity to the substrate. If you have completed the Scarce Conditions challenges, you must know how to make a smart food-seeking swimmer. But here it must be extra-smart, to prioritize avoiding the green bomb over the less important task of eating.

With two stereocytes, one for each behavior, it is possible to adjust their relative strengths, and/or connect the higher-priority stereocyte directly to the flagellos, and get the right balance using only one signal substance (like S1), and without needing a neurocyte. The problem here is the limited range of signal "importance", and making sure green-avoidance is top priority, no matter what food may be near by.

If you give each stereocyte its own signal (like S1 for avoidance, S2 for food), you can combine them with more fine-grained control in a neurocyte, then output S3 or S4 to control the flagellocytes. This is one more cell for your organism to sustain, but the payoff in improved accuracy can be worth it.

Another design that I recently had success with is a swimmer with two segments for seeking/avoidance. Here is how it looks:
Capture+_2018-12-03-17-22-16~2.png
Capture+_2018-12-03-17-22-16~2.png (34.12 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Genome: https://www.dropbox.com/s/98hymliier788 ... enome?dl=0

The dark purple segment has two flagellocytes and a food-seeking stereocyte, all using S2 for signaling. These flagellos swim forward and steer toward food.

The light purple segment is for avoidance only; if green cells are sensed, S1 signal tells the side-angled flagellos to swim away from them. If no green cells are near, they rest, conserving energy.

Finally there is the head, or mouth, two phagocytes that can suck up the big juicy nutrients this substrate provides. One phagocyte would work, but there's plenty of room for two, and having two yields better food absorption. Plus they look cool, like bug-eyes!
Pixlo8

Post by Pixlo8 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:29 pm

I like your design! I went way simpler with this ones, it required a lot of fine tuning but it works. The biggest issue I ran into is repoduced cells that don't know right from wrong yet (they're just kids) that end up dumbly just ramming themselves into the bomb. I did this by making it so they evolve the ability to sense green instantly, and I mean instantly, bare minimum split mass. It makes for a lot of dead babies but the adult ones manage to have enough babies to compensate. I've played around with making it so it carries the babe with it like an egg so it gets more nutrients off the bat, either way works just fine, and produces around the same number of cells.
Screenshot_2018-12-06-18-21-57.png
https://mega.nz/#!swBXDSZQ!o85edhePyNyE ... pLGq0Q4vKs
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:32 am

Nice work! I would not have thought it possible to solve this challenge with a linear myocyte swimmer. I'm sure I tried one among my many failed designs. It is hard to get the balance just right without a neurocyte. With only stereocytes, the signal to avoid a nearby green cell could be easily overpowered by an even closer bit of food. You pulled it off well. Though, I feel sorry for all the ones that die too soon, because they didn't have enough nutrients to split...
wapcaplet

Post by wapcaplet » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:56 am

Your swimmer reminded me of this "Norwegian Blue" that I made a while back. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2489

The original stopped swimming when there was no food near. I made a few small changes, and now it stops when it gets near green cells.

It's funny, the green ball in the middle gets surrounded by swimmers who can't swim, so they just sit still and wiggle at the food bits, as if they are dancing around a campfire.
Capture+_2018-12-06-19-42-53~2-236x308.png
Capture+_2018-12-06-19-42-53~2-236x308.png (40.09 KiB) Viewed 48 times
Substrate: https://www.dropbox.com/s/stoygsoeoug84 ... trate?dl=0