coding details

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
marnec

coding details

Post by marnec » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:58 pm

Hi,
I follow CL from its earliest stages and I have some curiosities about the actual implementation.
I tried to find these answer in the forum but I coulnd't.

- Do you have a physics engine for movement and soft body deformation?
- Are you actually using rigid body physics and faking deformation by repulsing overlapping meshes?
- Is everything written in GLSL?
- What languages did you use for physics and logic behind genome parameters?
Petter
Site Admin

Re: coding details

Post by Petter » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:09 pm

Hi,
- What do you mean by "physics engine"? I feel like i've got this question a few times before. I treat the cell dynamics using basic mechanics, does that mean i use a physics engine? Only cell d.o.f are x,y, angle so it is pretty simple :P, just some pairwise (angle dependent) potentials + dissipative forces
- I don't really get the question but there are no meshes involved so i guess the answer is no?
- no, only the shaders, glsl is a shader language
- java
marnec

Re: coding details

Post by marnec » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm

Thank you for you answer.
I was wondering if you were using a library for phsysics since, while calculations are quite simple, it is often tricky to write your own implementation of physics equation.

About GLSL I really knew nothing about shaders and computer graphics in general and I only started to study it after reading your answer to a similar question in this forum. However, I imagined (and I later found out I was right) that since it is a programming language for GPUs you could trick it into making calculations of (almost) any kind even if its primary goal is drawing graphics. Anyways, thank you very much for your answer.

My question about soft physiscs comes from the observation of cell deformation upon contact with surrounding cells and when dividing. My best guess is that it's not a real deformation, instead its encoded at the graphics level