Bees colony

Post your creations here. It can be either a cool genome or an interesting ecosystem. Indicate if you designed it yourself or if it was created through evolution, or both :). File, picture, or video is required.
Steeletto

Bees colony

Post by Steeletto » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:51 pm

This is a honeycomb ecosystem in which bees eat nectar and lay eggs in the hive. There is a queen bee that activate puppies to disclose and begin the journey to flowers.

Sadly I had to create queen and worker bees with separated genomes. There are 4 different genomes in the complete plate:
Honeycomb
Queen bee
Worker bee
Flower
The most complex is the Queen and her movement around the hive.
Flowers can reproduce only with the help of bees like in nature. Bees produce a signal substance for flower stamens that synthetize pollen and spread it on the bottom of the plate.
Flowers can detect the presence of other ones and hinibite gametes to avoid overpopulation.
This is the substrate with honeycomb and flower genomes
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x37fnw01tdnl0 ... trate?dl=0
WhatTheSillyName

Re: Bees colony

Post by WhatTheSillyName » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 pm

Awesome! I can finally play with the bee.
...Oh......
Ya~
Steeletto

Post by Steeletto » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:35 pm

WhatTheSillyName wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 pm
...Oh......
Sad story :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
WhatTheSillyName

Post by WhatTheSillyName » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:23 pm

Steeletto wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:35 pm
WhatTheSillyName wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:31 pm
...Oh......
Sad story :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So hard to beelieve this.
Ya~
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:46 pm

I can see so much effort has put into this. Good Job!
Are complex creatures too advanced for you to understand?
Well, let me flood you with them.
countingtls

Post by countingtls » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:35 am

Hopefully more people would see it, this definitely is impressive work.

Although the "Workers" are actually reproducing, while the "Queen" is more acting like the caretaker role of a worker bee. This is more akin to solitary bees then a typical Beehive colony. Maybe the "Worker" and "Queen" can be re-task to different genders of the species and reproduce both caretakers and offspring producers. It is already half way there, where the larva needs a trigger from the "Queen" to grow already, and they looked similar enough to share many modes together with just a few tweaks. All that's left is how to determine the genders of the next generations and the ratio of the genders, maybe some signals along the development path with Stemocyte to differentiate from one gender to another.
Steeletto

Post by Steeletto » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:46 am

H4yw1r3 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:46 pm
I can see so much effort has put into this. Good Job!
Thank you!
Steeletto

Post by Steeletto » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:55 am

countingtls wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:35 am
Hopefully more people would see it, this definitely is impressive work.

Although the "Workers" are actually reproducing, while the "Queen" is more acting like the caretaker role of a worker bee. This is more akin to solitary bees then a typical Beehive colony. Maybe the "Worker" and "Queen" can be re-task to different genders of the species and reproduce both caretakers and offspring producers. It is already half way there, where the larva needs a trigger from the "Queen" to grow already, and they looked similar enough to share many modes together with just a few tweaks. All that's left is how to determine the genders of the next generations and the ratio of the genders, maybe some signals along the development path with Stemocyte to differentiate from one gender to another.
All this would be possible if male, female and queen shared the same genome in order to reproduce with gametes but with only 40 modes it's impossible :cry:
I tried with virocyte to "steal" another genome but work with only few modes...
countingtls

Post by countingtls » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Steeletto wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:55 am
All this would be possible if male, female and queen shared the same genome in order to reproduce with gametes but with only 40 modes it's impossible :cry:
I tried with virocyte to "steal" another genome but work with only few modes...
It doesn't have to be male/female/queen, 2 different genders will do, like your current worker/caretaker differentiation is enough. (let female be the worker, and male be the caretaker so to speak), and doesn't have to use gametes for sexual determination. Environmental factors can also work. I've designed species using "crowdedness" to even out the gender ratio. In here, you can embedded Senseocyte/Stereocyte in the honeycomb structure to emit different signals based on the nearby larva color. When one gender's egg is next to each other, the signal can be used in the next stage using Stemocyte to split in different modes, hence different genders will be born. Or even simpler, just using 2 different colors in the honeycomb structure itself and make certain areas a different kind of color so larva in those areas will always be one gender, while other area will be another gender.

Or if caretakers/workers really have to use different linage, you can even "steal and replace" some existing eggs by adding a color sensor on the caretaker to determine local honeycomb color, produce its own egg, and emit some kind of signals and let the other gender's egg Stemocyte go another route to commit suicide, and the new egg will squeeze or glue to its place and a new caretaker will be born instead of a worker. (I was just thinking about long term simulation where cell aging can be turned back on, right now there will be an explosion of workers over time since they don't die right?) it can even work with more than 2 different "gender species", as long as each species has a "steal and replace" mechanism.
Judas

Post by Judas » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:20 am

This is awesome! I would love to download the finished substrate. I've never made anything close to that fancy haha