Frankenstein I, II, and III

Post your own challenge to your fellow researchers!
1_1

Frankenstein I, II, and III

Post by 1_1 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:43 am

Here's three different challenges based on the same concept!

Frankenstein I

Difficulty: Undergrad

You have split the genome for a nitrogen fixing swimmer across five different cells. Can you recreate the original creature?

Allowed cell types: Phagocyte, Virocyte, Nitrocyte.

Allowed cell tools: All tools are allowed.

Goal: Create the described nitrogen fixing swimmer and have it populate the substrate.

Additional restrictions: The final creature may not use any genetic material you created in the genome editor. To ensure this requirement is met, you should give all of the cells you make a distinct color. There are no restrictions on cell placement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/706uz5yhd84vb ... trate?dl=0

Frankenstein II

Difficulty: Phd

A basic prey species and a basic predator species are both present on the plate, creating a stable ecosystem together. Hypothetically, you could add a third species onto the plate, identical to the predator species, except with the devourocyte in mode 3 replaced with the phagocyte in mode 3 of the prey species. Such a species would be immune to the predator species, but collect nutrients in the same way as the prey species. Are you able to create such a cell?

Allowed cell types: Phagocyte, Virocyte.

Goal: Create the described third species and have it populate the substrate.

Additional restrictions: The final creature may not use any genetic material you created in the genome editor. To ensure this requirement is met, you should give all of the cells you make a distinct color. There are no restrictions on cell placement.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uielu8zob3rle ... trate?dl=0

Frankenstein III

Difficulty: Mad Scientist

Your colleague created a nitrogen fixing swimmer, and wanted you to make it more efficient. You wanted to use random mutations to optimize it through natural selection, but unfortunately, the creature is very sensitive to radiation. Instead, you created four variations of it. The red variation has higher nutrient priorities in all of its cells. The yellow variation has weaker cytoskeletons in all of its cells. The blue variation spends more energy to swim faster and reproduce quicker. The green variation swims slower and reproduces less often to spend less energy. You plan to use gene recombination to evolve an optimal combination of each variant's cells. Are you able to make a creature more efficient than any of your variations?

Allowed cell types: Photocyte, Virocyte, Nitrocyte, Gamete

Goal: Create the described optimal combination, and test it against the initial four variants.

Once you believe you have found an optimal combination, you should test it by doing the following:
* Save the creature using the "load from microscope" feature
* Reload the plate
* Use the "remove cell" tool to remove the blue, yellow, and green nitrocytes. The red variant seems to be the most efficient variant, so you only need to test against it.
* Incubate for 100h
* Place up to 5 of your creature onto the substrate
* If your creature is more efficient than the red variant, and thus drives it to extinction, you win the challenge.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w7ao2rbr28vmr ... trate?dl=0

Feel free to share your solutions in the replies! For the third challenge, I bet people would also love to hear what evolved as the optimal combination in your substrate!
1_1

Re: Frankenstein I, II, and III

Post by 1_1 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:07 pm

Hey, my post finally got approved! Thank you peter!
a few millennia ago, there was a mountain in the middle of lake superior. monarch butterflies still make a sharp turn east to avoid the spot where it used to be during their migration.