Substrate Color

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
Steeletto

Substrate Color

Post by Steeletto » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:51 pm

Is there any way to set the color of the plate as you want?
I'd like rgb levels in the substrate settings :mrgreen:
Petter
Site Admin

Re: Substrate Color

Post by Petter » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:53 pm

Unfortunately no. I've been thinking it is kind of hard to see the speed organisms are swimming at, especially when following one, since the background is just a single color. What do you think about having some sort of structure in the background? Any ideas of a good background texture?
Seandoggy
Location: North of the south pole, south of the north pole. Certainly on earth for all of 2000-2017.

Post by Seandoggy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 pm

I feel like a parallax texture with blurred microscopic dust or something would up the style of the game by a lot.
Ahh, summertime!

And now the substrate is covered in photocytes
RedShift

Post by RedShift » Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:42 am

Petter wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:53 pm
Unfortunately no. I've been thinking it is kind of hard to see the speed organisms are swimming at, especially when following one, since the background is just a single color. What do you think about having some sort of structure in the background? Any ideas of a good background texture?
How about sand dunes texture for dry substrates and the normal substrate/plate texture for slippery substrate?
Just a random text...
ElNico5

Post by ElNico5 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:00 pm

Seandoggy wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 pm
I feel like a parallax texture with blurred microscopic dust or something would up the style of the game by a lot.
I like this idea, but i feel there is no need for parallax tho, just sand and dust particles cell lab-styled and maybe blurred
Writing from a small house in Agmalarkiia
Steeletto

Post by Steeletto » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:57 am

Petter wrote:
A textured background would be useful for this purpose but solid color background is beautiful too, I think that the best option is to choose if activate or disable the texture...
However I like the slither.io texture, kinda biomechanic stuff with hexagonal patterns
Steeletto

Post by Steeletto » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:21 am

Petter wrote:
By the way, I've solved the color change problem by creating a modded version based on the .selvo mod, I've changed the plate color by extending the edge and made the food solid white. The dark background made necessary to change the shaders behaviour of all cell types to make them more visible, expecially when dark colored.
This is the result, what do you think about?
Steeletto

Post by Steeletto » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:00 pm

Petter wrote:
I was thinking about water waves, and had an idea for this: the speed could be visualized from the ripples that the swimmer creates in the fluid, in other words a generator of low opacity dark circles around the moving cell that propagate depending on the substrate viscosity
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter » Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:29 pm

Seandoggy wrote:
I've considered this too but I feel that it doesn't really fit the style of the rest of the game. I don't really have any textures so far, just solid colors (only gradient is in the sun and the death animation). Maybe I should abandon these aesthetics though? Paralax feels a bit weird to me since all the graphics are very 2d. It might look like completely flat cells in a 3d world. I was thinking some sort of stripes/random noise in the background, that still looks like vector graphics, not blurry or pixelated. Perhaps some voronoi diagram looking shapes in a faint color, e.g. representing grain boundaries in some polycrystaline material at the bottom of the petri dish?
Seandoggy
Location: North of the south pole, south of the north pole. Certainly on earth for all of 2000-2017.

Post by Seandoggy » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:50 pm

Petter wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 11:29 pm
Seandoggy wrote:
I've considered this too but I feel that it doesn't really fit the style of the rest of the game. I don't really have any textures so far, just solid colors (only gradient is in the sun and the death animation). Maybe I should abandon these aesthetics though? Paralax feels a bit weird to me since all the graphics are very 2d. It might look like completely flat cells in a 3d world. I was thinking some sort of stripes/random noise in the background, that still looks like vector graphics, not blurry or pixelated. Perhaps some voronoi diagram looking shapes in a faint color, e.g. representing grain boundaries in some polycrystaline material at the bottom of the petri dish?
Not really sure about this, but scratches on the dish?
Ahh, summertime!

And now the substrate is covered in photocytes