CSV Export Substrate and Genome

We like few-celled organisms, not bugs!
CannedGoods

CSV Export Substrate and Genome

Post by CannedGoods » Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:13 pm

One can currently save substrate and genome settings in file formats that are not human readable. I propose allowing to save substrate and genome settings in a format humans can read and use (CSV ?).

This would allow players to share content via text, without exchanging a file, and would work across different versions of the game.

This would also allow players to precisely and quickly document settings related to their experiments. For example, I am interested in what sorts of random genomes arise through contamination and radiation relative to given substrate settings.

Challenge substrates should probably remain unable to save/export, as I feel like the fact that one cannot know the substrate settings explicitly is precisely what makes it a Challenge.

Thanks for your time!
RedShift

Re: CSV Export Substrate and Genome

Post by RedShift » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:15 am

go to cell lab settings and press the "Log Sustrate Statistic to file"
and choose the interval

I think that's how you gonna do it
Uhmmmm...
RedShift

Post by RedShift » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:26 am

wapcaplet wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:18 pm
To see what is happening over the long term, I used the "log statistics to file" feature in Cell Lab settings to compare swimmer and hunter populations, then used Google Sheets to graph their cell count over time.
Uhmmmm...
CannedGoods

Post by CannedGoods » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:51 am

@wapcaplet I love that new logging feature, however, it only logs statistics about what is on the MICROSCOPE tab. For example, the amount of food on the MICROSCOPE and how many cells of what color-channel are present in the MICROSCOPE at the given time interval.

I'm looking for information from the SUBSTRATE and GENOME tabs. For example, from SUBSTRATE tab, what is the Radiation Level, Viscosity, Gene Pool, Kill Cells at Edge, etc. settings. or OR from GENOME tab, what settings for all Modes: Child 1&2 Mode, Split mass, Color, Adhesin, etc. settings.

Although I can imagine reasons to add SUBSTRATE attributes to the Log, I think it would eat up too much memory as SUBSTRATE values do not normally change much over the course of an experiment. I'd just like a way to export current SUBSTRATE or GENOME Settings in CSV format. This way we don't have to do stuff like THIS manually:
wapcaplet wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:05 am
It is possible to meet most objectives with only these settings adjusted:
  • Radiation amount
  • Cell type(s)
But you may find it helpful to tweak other settings to guide their evolution. These are the original settings, in case you need them:
  • Substrate size: 0.7mm
  • Maximum cells: 1000
  • Kill cells at edge: Yes
  • Cell aging: Yes
  • Viscosity: 80
  • Nutrient rate: 11
  • Chunk size: 0.43
  • Salinity: 0.7
  • Light amount: 0.9
  • Light range: 0.35
  • Gravity: 0.5
  • Density: 0.0
  • Density gradient: -1.0
  • Nitrates: 1.0
Any settings not listed are set to 0.0 or turned off.
This would also allows users to share SUBSTRATE or GENOME without downloading a file. As I understand it, files from different versions of the Cell Lab game are not necessarily compatible. This would allow sharing SUBSTRATE or GENOME across different versions of Cell Lab as users can then enter the information manually.