No option for nutrient priority

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Ruph0us

No option for nutrient priority

Post by Ruph0us »

Currently trying to complete Sunlight II and discovered there is no slider for nutrient priority. Split ratio is also missing. Any help?
Attachments
Screenshot_20180627-072933_Cell Lab.jpg
Alast

Re: No option for nutrient priority

Post by Alast »

It's a change with the new version to make things easier for new players and not overwhelm them immediately with so many settings. For the early challenges a lot of settings are not needed. Therefore they have been disabled until later challenges.
Perfection hasnt reached me yet, but its trying hard!
belinde

Post by belinde »

I understand the motivation, but those controls are hidden also in Experiments mode. I haven't played for a long time, and today I tried again just for the upgrade. I wanted to fool around a little, but I can do less things than before :(

Maybe you could put it under an option? Everyone starts with the simplified version, but if he wants can taste the full flavour :idea:
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 »

Or finish certain challenges to unlock more setting parameters.
Are complex creatures too advanced for you to understand?
Well, let me flood you with them.
PhoenixOfGreen

Post by PhoenixOfGreen »

I get the point, but without these settings, some levels are impossible to complete. And many are made significantly more difficult. For example, the floater level you need to complete before unlocking that setting is made significantly more difficult due to this being locked away. The walkthrough videos you link to help people rely on the setting. Also, the parasite level is before you unlock this and to complete it you have to carefully place a symbiote that can use the cells to survive, even if it can't reproduce.

It was clearly done with good intentions, but it breaks the levels and balances you set in place and doesn't actually make the game less intimidating for new players. It should be re-enabled from the start. This is a game where people design cells to reproduce by editing a genome. This game will not stick with people who can't figure out the nutrition priority slider.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter »

Yea sorry, this has been brought to my attention and will be remedied in next version. I was a bit quick in locking these features for later challenges thinking they were not necessary in the earlier challenges. My thinking was that they might be confusing and thus make the game unnecessarily difficult in the beginning.

I do not think it is so much about people not being able to "figure out the nutrient priority slider", I think it is more about patience. The threshold to download a free game is very low and users thus give up very easily if it is not immediately fun and gratifying. Seeing many sliders without understanding what they are for is overwhelming and seems tedious. Lots to read. And they don't seem so exciting until the user has already figured out all other sliders, at that point it is fun to figure out another one. This is my analysis but I might be wrong, I don't meet many players AFK.

Cheers,
Petter
PhoenixOfGreen

Post by PhoenixOfGreen »

Fair enough. As long as it's unlock point is moved up there shouldn't a problem as the super early levels don't need it at all.
H4yw1r3

Post by H4yw1r3 »

Though I know locking up Nutrient Priority is an accident at an iconic level, Parasite, it's still solvable as is.
Are complex creatures too advanced for you to understand?
Well, let me flood you with them.