PC development blog

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Petter
Site Admin

Re: PC development blog

Post by Petter »

Ok, thanks for the input! I think this might be the way to go too! It's a lot of work though but at least locking all cell types might be a good start.

What do you think of a kind of tech-tree instead of the linear progress we have in the app? I think it could be helpful in case a user gets stuck somewhere. Progress can be made elsewhere and skills developed so the user can go back and finish. This might prevent getting stuck for a long time and getting bored of the game. It's more work for me though and I'm not really sure how such a tree should be made. Perhaps different branches with similar challenges? Like cognition, reproduction, breeding, evolution..
HumanoidX

Post by HumanoidX »

Oh Yes! TECH TREE!!!
(o) + Me + The Forum + My Friends = ;) :) :D
hansgone

Post by hansgone »

Petter wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:46 pm It's more work for me though and I'm not really sure how such a tree should be made. Perhaps different branches with similar challenges? Like cognition, reproduction, breeding, evolution..
Yeah, I had the same thought that the challenges should be branched.

For the design, I think you can reuse the "mode" tree you've already made. It looks simple enough.

For categorizing, maybe we can group them by the cell type required in the challenge? That way, the player can focus on learning different uses of the one cell type instead of multiples at once.

For hard challenges that require many different cells, they will be placed at the last where the previous challenges converge. This can also give the player a subtle hint of what the challenge will involve.
currently hoping for
Explosiocyte!
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter »

Yea reusing that will be useful. I haven't figured out how to structure it in a good way though. Some challenges depend on others to have the correct cells available. It won't really be a tree, more like a directed acyclic graph. With a lot of leaves (or maximal elements) I guess for all the "bonus challenges" that don't unlock anything. Perhaps all bonus challenges should be ordered too so they get unlocked with increasing difficulty?
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter »

I've added some new updates! Finally uploading and downloading experiments seem to work :D Also the menu is taking shape.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter »

Another update published in the blog!
Hokome

Post by Hokome »

I haven't figured out how to structure it in a good way though. Some challenges depend on others to have the correct cells available. It won't really be a tree, more like a directed acyclic graph. With a lot of leaves (or maximal elements) I guess for all the "bonus challenges" that don't unlock anything. Perhaps all bonus challenges should be ordered too so they get unlocked with increasing difficulty?
My solution to this problem would be two things: group tutorials into levels and have multiple tutorials for every cell type.

For instance, level 1 could include 2 tutorials for photocytes and 3 for phagocytes (those are random numbers). The two cell types will be independent from each other, so the player can choose which cells they want to try first, and if they're stuck somewhere they can play around with the tutorials of the level before coming back. Once you cleared all of the tutorials in the current level, you unlock the next level.

Having multiple tutorials per cell type allows you to slowly introduce every mechanic, but that also means one cell type can also have its tutorials scattered in many levels. Let's say you only need to be able to use the basics of neurocytes in level 4, but in level 7 you're going to need very advanced neurocyte techniques. A solution could be to have something like 2 basic neurocyte tutorials at level 3 (just before level 4) and then have 4 more advanced neurocyte tutorials at level 6.

Here is a diagram to illustrate how it would look like.

https://imgur.com/a/3uaSezO

(it's just a template)

The player could also unlock the needed cell specific settings so they don't get overwhelmed when they start using a new cell. You can treat general lab tutorials as a cell type and make a level 0 to introduce the lab settings progressively too.

Bonus stages can be unlocked after the needed tutorial or all at once when clearing the entire level, it depends on the amount of challenges and how difficult they are.
Last edited by Hokome on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petter
Site Admin

Post by Petter »

Hey,
Interesting concept! By tutorial, do you mean all the challenges? Otherwise, that is a lot of tutorials :P. I think its nice to have a few very hard challenges that doesn't have to be finished to move on to the next level, where would they be placed in this design?
Hokome

Post by Hokome »

By tutorial, I mean the challenges that unlock new cells/settings or teach you how to play the game. Bonus challenges would be the ones that are harder but optional. So in the mobile version I consider "Seed" and "Decimation" tutorials, while "Scavenger" or "Macrophages II" are bonus challenges.

The tutorials would be grouped in levels, while bonus challenges are unlocked after clearing a level. Which level you have to clear to unlock it would depend on what you need to know to play the bonus challenge.

Although I do think having a lot of tutorials is important. Having those focusing more on learning (with prompts to help you figure out, like the actual tutorials) would be better as well. Cells like Neurocytes deserve a lot more explanation than they currently have in the mobile version, especially if you add functionalities to them. The mobile game's difficulty was ridiculous at times so holding the player's hand a bit more would probably benefit the game a lot.
Cvaaidar

Post by Cvaaidar »

Petter wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:51 pm Hi All,
I've started a small blog where I make updates on the PC version development progress. It can be found on the main web page cell-lab.net. Please let me know here if you have any suggestions relating to what I show there. I know there are lots of suggestions here already and I keep those in mind while coding, but new things might come up relating to what I show there. E.g. I do not have any game scripting experience so perhaps someone experienced in modding/scripiting can weigh in on design decisions I've made?

Cheers,
Petter
Hi. Will there also be any updates for the mobile version of cell lab or is the mobile game done?