What is a "living" virus called

Here anything Cell Lab related that doesn't fit into the other topics can be discussed.
Nomad14

What is a "living" virus called

Post by Nomad14 »

Hi, so I reinstalled the game after a long time and decided why not and made a m1 virocyte that infects m1 but with the twist that it has enough mass to split into a swimmer and eat nutrients and then create another m1 virocyte and continue the cycle. Since Life needs to replicate itself (which viruses need cells to do) but this "virus" can self replicate and does it with ease and is in a way, life, and can convert others to itself. Since its not really a virus, what is it called since I tried looking it up and all the searches failed.
Discord

Re: What is a "living" virus called

Post by Discord »

Nomad14 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:46 pm Hi, so I reinstalled the game after a long time and decided why not and made a m1 virocyte that infects m1 but with the twist that it has enough mass to split into a swimmer and eat nutrients and then create another m1 virocyte and continue the cycle. Since Life needs to replicate itself (which viruses need cells to do) but this "virus" can self replicate and does it with ease and is in a way, life, and can convert others to itself. Since its not really a virus, what is it called since I tried looking it up and all the searches failed.
There is hardly a real life prototype of such organism. Cells can't produce viruses by themselves, they can only if a virus infects them.
Glueocytic myocyte

Re: What is a "living" virus called

Post by Glueocytic myocyte »

Honestly, i would consider it a parasite- something that uses other cells as a "host" in its reproduction phase, but the fully-grown organism itself is fully self-sufficient; similarly to certain types of fish
That moment when you look back on your old signature, and realize just how weird it actually is.